Tuesday, August 10, 2004

I used your Query Shark blog to revise my letter multiple times.

Thank you so much for the Query Shark blog. I know it is time-consuming, and while generating goodwill, probably doesn't generate much in the way of income. I have been querying agents for a little over a year now. (I haven't queried you because you don't represent my genre.) With the exception of one handwritten note with a few invaluable specific comments, every reply I received was a form rejection. I knew I had a flawed query letter.

I used your Query Shark blog to revise my letter multiple times. Even though you never critiqued my letter, I recognized my mistakes in the letters you did critique. Finally, after more than 40 form rejections, I received a request for a full. I know rejection is still possible, but I feel like I've made another step forward, and I owe you a big thank you for that.

4 comments:

Amy said...

The problem is, it's a lot harder to see flaws in your own work then it is in everyone elses, and it's hard to apply the QS wisdom to your own letter. Just saying.

Lyle said...

Im in the same boat! I still havent heard from Mz. Shark after sending my Query Letter in February (my genre is YA-Fantasy) but I've sent her 6 updated queries letters thus far - all recieving acknowledgement that she has got them - but none posted yet.

I currently have 42 versions of my Query Letter and had 6 agent rejections thus far (ever since mid April 2010 when I started sending 10 agents).


Anyway, fingers crossed if the great shark will review mine next...

Kim Mullican said...

I just sent in my query...heart pounding away. I have no shame admitting that I needed a drink before I could hit the send button.

However, one of the Shark's posts talked about how she doesn't owe us anything. This is entirely voluntary...

Complaining about lack of posts seems...like you haven't read what she's already written...touche pussycat!

Unknown said...

Aaaand, this explains the connection between writing and alcoholism.